Saturday, January 5, 2013

Cranberry Curd




Being a lover of all things cranberry, I could not resist trying this recipe from "Cooking Light". I decided to make it as a hostess gift for a New Year's Eve party I was attending. I just managed to keep some for myself too! I have tried this on whole wheat buttermilk pancakes, in yogurt, on an English muffin and in oatmeal. It is delicious!

Makes about 40 T. ( 1 T.= 1 point +)

  • 1/2 c. water
  • 2 T. lemon juice
  • 1 ( 12 oz) bag fresh cranberries
  • 2/3 c. sugar
  • 1/4 c. packed brown sugar
  • 2 T. butter, softened
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1 egg
  • 1-1/2 tsp. cornstarch
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 2 T. orange juice


Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until cranberries pop. PLace cranberry mixture in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Strain cranberry mixture through a fine sieve over a large bowl. Use the back of a spoon to smash berries through the sieve. Discard solids.

Combine sugars and butter in a bowl; beat until well combined. Add egg yolks and egg, beating well after each. Stir in cranberry mixture, cornstarch and salt. Place mixture int he top of a double boiler.
Cook over simmering water until thermometer registers 160 degrees and mixture thickens ( about 10 minutes), stirring frequently.

Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Sir in orange juice. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from people who visit my blog! Let me know that you stopped by and let me know if you try a recipe!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...