Friday, May 31, 2013

Chicken Pot Pie




This pretty pie is comfort food at its finest. This recipe is fairly simple and I have lightened the ingredients as much as possible while still giving it a rich and indulgent taste. Since it is a bit higher in points, I suggest serving it with a large green salad for a complete and filling meal.
I used a large pie dish for this recipe. The longer you let the pie stand, the more firm the filling will become. I suggest at least 15 minutes.

serves 8 ( 9 points +)

  • Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust ( 2 crusts)
  • 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
  • 1 c. carrots, sliced
  • 1 c. frozen peas
  • 1/2 c. sliced celery
  • 4 T. light stick butter
  • 1/2 c. chopped onion
  • 1/2 c. flour
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2-1/2 c. fat-free chicken broth
  • 1 c. skim milk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Place chicken, carrots, peas and celery in a large pot. Cover with water. Boil for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Drain.
Unroll 1 pie crust and place in the bottom of pie dish. Spread chicken mixture over crust.

Meanwhile, melt butter in a sauce pot. Add onion and cook until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in broth and milk. Cook, stirring constantly until thickened. Pour flour mixture over chicken mixture. 

Unroll remaining crust and place over mixture in pie dish. Crimp edges, cut four slits in the top to let steam escape. Bake at 425 for 30-35 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting. If you want your filling firmer, let stand longer.

4 comments:

  1. I really do love your blog. I have been doing weightwatchers on and off for several years. It is nice to get some recipes that real people have made and enjoyed. So thank you for sharing them with us. I do have one question though. Is there a way to print these recipes from your blog? Other blogs have a button or something that allows you to print off a printer friendly version. Am I missing something? It would really help. Otherwise, I have to copy and paste and then print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon,
      Just installed the print button. Click on the recipe title you would like and the print friendly button should then be at the bottom. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  2. Oh! Yes! This looks scrumptious! I'm a hardcore fan of Pillsbury Pie Crust too!
    To help cut Points, calories, etc.. I would suggest leaving out the bottom crust. I've done that before and provided one uses a heavy pie plate ( Pyrex, ceramic, NOT aluminum foil!! lol) it turns out just fine.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from people who visit my blog! Let me know that you stopped by and let me know if you try a recipe!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...