Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Double Chocolate Banana Bread


Bananas are either eaten quickly in our house or they are left to sit and become over-ripe. This week, I had some over-ripe bananas and decided to look for a new recipe. I came across this  this double chocolate banana bread , which I have adapted to make a bit more points friendly. I plan to bring it to a book discussion group that I attend. Since some of the ladies are trying to eat very little sugar, I decided to try this recipe using Xylitol, which is a natural sweetener and is very low-calorie. You can use regular sugar and just add 1 point per serving. They key with breads and muffins is not to over mix or over bake. I like to cut breads into 16 pieces by cutting in 8 pieces on the long side of the bread and then cutting those pieces in half. This makes for a thicker, although smaller, slice. Enjoy!

Serves 16 ( 4 points + or if using sugar 5 points +)


  • 1 c. Xylitol ( or sugar)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 c. canola oil
  • 2 ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1-1/2 c. flour
  • 1/2 c. unsweetened baking cocoa
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 c. mini chocolate chips


Preheat oven to 350 and spray a loaf pan with nonstick spray.

Beat Xylitol ( sugar), eggs, and oil to combine. Beat in bananas and vanilla.
Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and chocolate chips. Stir until just combined. Spoon into loaf pan. Bake 50-60 minutes or until top is cracked and bread springs back when you lightly touch the top. I like to check my bread at least 5 minutes early to make sure I am not overbaking.

2 comments:

  1. I love to collect recipes but I hardly ever tried to bake it but sometimes I do bake but it will be the simplest ones. Maybe I will try to bake the double chocolate bread . Anyway, nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello I invite you to join www.recipebyday.com a new directory of blogs recipes where you just have to register your blog and links to your recipes appear to visit you. Regards and Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from people who visit my blog! Let me know that you stopped by and let me know if you try a recipe!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...